I've often forgotten to talk about this topic since it's just been a part of my regular life for so long. But my bestie decided to write on this topic, so I decided I'd get on board and link up with her!
We first took the paper free plunge...oh, gosh, I can hardly remember. I think it's maybe been five years ago or so? We were living in our one bedroom apartment in the Chicago suburbs. I ran out of paper-towels and napkins. And I decided, that's it! No more! It was really an easy transition. I got some cloth napkins and just used rags and towels for spills that in the past would have been cleaned up by paper-towels.
Moving onto a more paper-free lifestyle came with having a baby. Since we were using cloth diapers, I knew it made sense to use cloth wipes as well. Why buy something disposable when you could use reusable? It made sense to me. Plus, if I wasn't throwing the dipes in the trash, why would I want to take a stinky wipe to the trash all by its lonesome? So, that was easy.
Then we started EC and I realized it would seem confusing/odd to use toilet paper on my little guy's bum when he went on the toilet, but soft cloth when he went in his dipe. And I thought about how that would translate when he was potty-independent and I knew I'd want him to use something soft of his little tush. So, I put a pile of wipes on the toilet to use for him for EC. Then I realized, gee, why don't I wipe with those too!? My husband wasn't quite interested in that, so for now, I use those wipes (mainly just for going number #1, admittedly). I just toss them in my son's diaper pail when I'm done and call it a day. Or, a go. Or whatever.
In addition to napkins, paper towels, and wipes, we recently added tissues to our paper-free list. This didn't happen entirely on purpose, but I received some adorable cloth wipes from Dionna over at Code Name: Mama in exchange for something and I thought they were just so cute. I already had a good wipe stash and these were smaller and thinner than what we use (though normal for what many people use, so I hear!) so I thought they were perfect for my son's little boogies. Though he's had a few bouts of runny nose and colds, he's never gotten a chapped nose from his drippies because of these soft flannel wipes!
Check out Sarah's post on what her family uses as various alternates to paper!
We first took the paper free plunge...oh, gosh, I can hardly remember. I think it's maybe been five years ago or so? We were living in our one bedroom apartment in the Chicago suburbs. I ran out of paper-towels and napkins. And I decided, that's it! No more! It was really an easy transition. I got some cloth napkins and just used rags and towels for spills that in the past would have been cleaned up by paper-towels.
Moving onto a more paper-free lifestyle came with having a baby. Since we were using cloth diapers, I knew it made sense to use cloth wipes as well. Why buy something disposable when you could use reusable? It made sense to me. Plus, if I wasn't throwing the dipes in the trash, why would I want to take a stinky wipe to the trash all by its lonesome? So, that was easy.
Then we started EC and I realized it would seem confusing/odd to use toilet paper on my little guy's bum when he went on the toilet, but soft cloth when he went in his dipe. And I thought about how that would translate when he was potty-independent and I knew I'd want him to use something soft of his little tush. So, I put a pile of wipes on the toilet to use for him for EC. Then I realized, gee, why don't I wipe with those too!? My husband wasn't quite interested in that, so for now, I use those wipes (mainly just for going number #1, admittedly). I just toss them in my son's diaper pail when I'm done and call it a day. Or, a go. Or whatever.
![]() |
| Wipe stash on the back of the toilet |
In addition to napkins, paper towels, and wipes, we recently added tissues to our paper-free list. This didn't happen entirely on purpose, but I received some adorable cloth wipes from Dionna over at Code Name: Mama in exchange for something and I thought they were just so cute. I already had a good wipe stash and these were smaller and thinner than what we use (though normal for what many people use, so I hear!) so I thought they were perfect for my son's little boogies. Though he's had a few bouts of runny nose and colds, he's never gotten a chapped nose from his drippies because of these soft flannel wipes!
I confess that I haven't quite gotten used to the idea of reusable tissues for myself, but at least we're not going through very many these days.
The last part of my cloth-conversion was mama cloth. I put off deciding what to do about feminine products for a really long time because I didn't get a period back after having Burkley until fifteen months postpartum (woo-hoo!). Finally though, the time came and I had to decide. I invested in some mama-cloth and thought I'd give it a try. I have to admit that I didn't love it. It rode up a lot and didn't stay in place very well. But, mentally, I at least knew I was avoiding putting as many bleached disposable products down where it counts, ya know? I'm not going to get into detail here as far as all that I use and do, and plus, it doesn't matter anymore anyway because I am done with that part of womanhood for the time being again. :) I do plan to use more mama cloth postpartum, however.
All of these changes have saved us lots of money and have saved our environment from waste; both results that make me happy.
Do you use cloth instead of paper in your home? Is there another area I could consider switching? We've never used paper products for eating from (plates, cups, plastic-ware, etc.) so that's not something I really included in this post. Any other thoughts?
Check out Sarah's post on what her family uses as various alternates to paper!


Go you! Five years? You have been rockin' it!
ReplyDeleteI found it easy to give up paper towels in a move. Moving makes it easy to throw in extra changes to the routine. This was after reviewing unpaper towels. I'm having some serious trouble with build up of bacon grease, though. So when we get food out, I save the napkins in our bag and use them for bacon.
My 2 youngest and I use FC. I'm hoping my teen and husband will be on board eventually. I was only using for urine at first, too, but... we use cloth wipes on our babies' bums, why not ours? Then there was the "monthly" debate, too. FC was getting stained anyway, right? So I've written off TP for me! When I occasionally run out of FC (and cloth baby wipes at the same time), I hate using TP! I like the pampered feeling of cloth!
Good point...it's good enough for my kid's butt, why not mine!? haha, well said!
Deletetrue, we wouldn't want to disposable wipes to be lonely!! Love your suggestions! I forgot, we don't use tissues either. It was weird to blow my nose into a wipe, you're correct ;) At least I don't do it and then cram it back into my pocket like the husband! ha! Thanks for linking up with me <3
ReplyDeleteYou and Sarah are further along in this than I am, but we're making progress. Conquered paper plates, napkins, and mama cloth. Making progress on paper towels and family cloth. My next project is making hankies before cold season hits. Thanks for the inspiration!
ReplyDeleteSounds like you guys are doing well with this! I love family cloth, I'm always so disappointed when they are all dirty and I have to use tp :)
ReplyDeleteWe keep all our wipes on top of the toilet, too, a much bigger stash though! (We're going to need it).
I ordered a sample pack of mama cloth from someone on Etsy, but I'm just not sure how many of what sizes to get for postpartum. I wish I just had the energy to make my own.
If you use reusable shopping bags, that counts as giving up paper, right?
We've been more concerned with getting rid of disposable plastic lately. Have you seen "Bag It"? Very motivational.
We ditched the paper too and it was much easier than I would have thought. I was so addicted to paper towels, but a close friend used only cloth rags when I visited and it just felt so chic! No one else I knew gave me cloth napkins and a homemade meal when I came over. I was inspired!
ReplyDeleteWe do have regular toilet paper along with cloth wipes. I will admit, I usually only use cloth if we forget to replace the TP, and my husband is not a fan of the cloth. I don't know why. It all goes in the diaper pail so I don't see the issue! My son is pretty close to being fully potty trained now though (at age 2 this month, after over a year of EC) and I'm not sure how it will go on as we don't wash diapers often anymore.
That's great that you made the switch to cloth for yourself! We use cloth diapers for my daughter and a friend of mine also uses cloth toilet "paper," but honestly, I'm not sure if I'm ready to go for it myself. Thanks for mentioning the mamacloth website though, I am interested in looking into the diva cup after this next baby. Great blog!
ReplyDelete