Man, here I came back to the blogging world and yet I took a whole week off. Life has been busy, busy, busy!
We have been trying to keep cool in the oppressive summer heat of the Midwest. It's been in the 100s for a week now and swimming in the afternoons just isn't cutting it. Finding places inside with air conditioning hasn't been too appealing as I just assume they will be crowded.
We've been trying to get ready for vacation coming up later this month and I've been researching some great crafts to make for Burkley to play with in the car ride. We'll be in the car for about five hours and I'm hoping he'll sleep at least half of that, but I'm excited about some things I've found for the times when he's awake. I'll post more on those later as I finish them. :)
![]() |
| Fat lip! |
A
couple of weeks ago, Burkley was very sick. The whole thing started the
morning after he had a big fall and got a huge bloody lip. He woke up
with a fever and diarrhea and we thought maybe something got out of
whack with his fall, so we took him to the chiro. When the fever didn't
break the third day, we took him to our family doctor. We still don't
really know what he had, but the doctor thought it was maybe an upper
respiratory infection. When his fever was ranging from 101-104 for the
eighth day in row, we sought a second opinion and that doctor just
thought he had a sore throat. It was the strangest (and seemingly
LONGEST) illness. He was on an antibiotic for a few days, but
unfortunately we ended up not finishing the course because he turned
into a complete monster as a side effect to the red dye. It didn't occur
to me that there was red dye in his medication since all of his doctors
know that he reacts badly to it (generally he gets rashy, but this time
it was a personality side effect!), so I assumed that whatever was
making this medicine pink certainly could not be red dye. Silly me.
After five days of tantrums that were out of this world, high-pitched
screams for the littlest upset, and my husband and I walking on
eggshells waiting for whatever was going to tip him off next, we did a
little research and found that many, many parents (especially those with
kids who have a sensitivity to red dye) noticed the same thing happen
to their kids. So, we stopped the medicine and by the next day, our
happy, sweet,
silly
boy was back. We're praying the illness will not return, which is a
small concern since he didn't finish his antibiotic. I called the
pharmacy to see if we could get it replaced with a dye-free option (we could), but to be honest, I
just never had the time to go bring in the old one (they wouldn't
exchange it without us bringing in his other meds), and either sit there
while they filled the 'scrip' and/or come back at another time. Life
was hectic, we are a one-car family, and he "seemed" to be better. I
really do
feel a bit irresponsible about that, but, by the time it occurred to me
to look into that option he was already off the antibiotic for three
days and I was nervous that by then we'd be starting all over anyway.
And, I had talked with the doctor so much recently that I knew I
was starting to get on the nerves of everyone of the office, so I was
hesitant to call and discuss this with them. Sigh.
As alluded to in my previous post, I’ve been on a new kick
(lifestyle change) where I am really finding joy in the chores of a homemaker.
However, in this heat, I’ve really been struggling to find motivation. If I run
the vacuum while the air conditioners are running, my old home’s wiring can’t
keep up and I blow a fuse. I don’t want to clean the bathroom because it’s
upstairs and during naptime (which is the best time to clean a bathroom!), the
AC is on where Burkley sleeps and the door is closed, so the bathroom is
sweltering.
I’ve also been doing more sewing lately, especially in
preparation for my bestie’s soon-to-be-born babe. I made her an awesome
“hospital gown” (though she’s having a home birth) that will be comfy for her
to lounge around in after birth. It’s perfect for keeping cool, staying comfy,
and for nursing. Pics to come…once the baby is here!
Bestie and I are also gearing up to teach a series of
childbirth classes at our local pregnancy resources center next month, so we’re
frantically trying to get the curriculum for that put together before the
arrival of said baby.
![]() |
| Peppers, green beans, tomatoes |
| Burkley with my aunt's dog, Champ |
This summer my aunt is also giving me canning lessons. So
far we’ve done strawberry jam and peach jam with the fruit from her garden. More of the canning (and salsa
making!) will take place at the end of the summer once our crops (okay, mostly
her crops since she has a HUGE garden) are harvested.
![]() |
| Sparklers on the 4th of July |
![]() |
| Creating his towers |
Stay tuned for more updates and I hope you're all staying cool!





I'm always impressed with Burkley's vocabulary, that's awesome that he has sentences. Mason, not so much.
ReplyDeleteAs for the red dyes.. we have had an accidental run-in or two with them and yikes. It takes forever to leave his system, too!