This post was written for inclusion in the Freedom of Cloth Carnival hosted at Natural Parents Network by Melissa of The New Mommy Files and Shannon of The Artful Mama. This year’s carnival will run from Sunday, July 3rd through Saturday, July 9th. Participants are sharing everything they know and love about cloth diapering, including how cloth has inspired them.
I can’t say enough about how COOL it is that the sun takes the stains out of my prefolds. I mean really. I know there is some sort of photo-science behind this phenomenon, but it so cool. I almost wish I had the time to sit outside and watch the poop stains fade! Whether it’s 30 below zero outside with snow on the ground or the middle of summer, the sun will take the stains out of your diapers (after they’re washed, of course). Pretty darn amazing. I dare you to try it. Just wash your prefolds, put them outside in the sun (if it’s really sunny, it only takes about 30-45 minutes, longer for really bad stains or longer if it’s not very sunny) and come back and check them! If the spot you put them in is a little windy, like in my case, and you come out and find some of your diapers down in your yard, you might have to run them through one more quick rinse cycle in your washing machine, but other than that, I just toss them in the dryer to fluff them up a bit, and Viola! Clean dipes. Love Love.
|Even after a snowstorm, the diapers will bleach clean!|
|When the weather's nice, I even wash and air out my diaper pail, as well as hang the covers and dry the wipes!|
Natural Parents Network for the most up-to-date news on the Freedom of Cloth Carnival!
Please take time to read the submissions by the other carnival participants on the following themes. Articles will go live on the scheduled theme day:
- Sunday, July 3rd, 2011: Cloth Related Recipes — Writers share their best cloth-related recipes and tutorials.
- Monday, July 4th, 2011: Choosing Your Cloth Style — Today’s posts discuss parents' individual journeys to finding the cloth diapering "style" that best suits their families.
- Tuesday, July 5th, 2011: Cloth Diapering Must Haves — Parents talk about the most important items in their diapering “stash” and why they love them.
- Wednesday, July 6th, 2011: Wordless Wednesday, Inspired by Cloth — We asked parents to share their favorite cloth-related photo with us and turned them into a fluffy Wordless Wednesday photo montage on Natural Parents Network. Link up your own Wordless Wednesday post there!
- Thursday, July 7th, 2011: Cloth Through the Stages: From Infancy to Potty Independence — Today’s participants explain how cloth diapering has served their families throughout one or more stages of their children’s lives.
- Friday, July 8th, 2011: Cloth Troubleshooting and Laundry Day — Seasoned cloth diapering parents share their best tips and tricks for handling common cloth problems and tackling the diaper laundry.
- Saturday, July 9th, 2011: Inspired by Cloth — For today’s theme, we’ve asked writers to explore the ways cloth diapering has inspired them to become "greener" overall.