Thursday, December 2, 2010

Pregnancy and Mothering Books


  


If you're anything like me, you spent your entire pregnancy researching how your pregnancy was going, how the birth would go, and what would happen after you had your little bundle of joy in your arms.

The goal of this post is to highlight the books that I read and share with you why I liked each, in case you are in need of a good read for yourself.

The first book pictured, The La Leche League's The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding was by far the most informative and helpful book I read during pregnancy. I really credit this book to my preparing to breastfeed, but there is a lot more in this book than just information on nursing. Delivery and parenting strategies are also discussed, all from the perspective of using our bodies the way God made them. I highly recommend this even if you are not pregnant, have a little one around or are thinking of having another baby.

My next favorite was Birth Your Way (below). This book is from England, so some of the sections are either irrelevant or enlightening, depending on your perspective. It was an easy read and I loved the information it had to offer about making your own choices during your labor and delivery.



Now, this next one is a classic. There is Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and Ina May's Guide to Natural Childbirth. I had them both in my house from the library, and I honestly don't remember which one I read, but it was good. The whole first section is just birth stories, which was helpful for me to really understand what the female body is capable of doing on its own, regardless of what complications might happen along the way. The second half offers information about the stages of labor. A great read!



I think every pregnant woman in America has read What to Expect When You're Expecting. I found it interesting to read what was happening to my growing baby each month, but this book didn't really offer me any information I wasn't already receiving in weekly emails from various websites I joined.



Your Pregnancy and Birth was given to me by my midwife group. It was an easy read and pretty interesting. It was not overly gung-ho "natural birth," but I learned a few things nonetheless!


I read the first chapter or so of Husband Coached Childbirth and it was very interesting. Marcus read most of the book and also enjoyed it. He ran out of time before our baby came 5 weeks early and did not finish it, but I still would recommend it.

The last one was the course text for our Bradley Method classes. This book is not available unless you take the course, which I highly recommend to everyone pregnant couple! This course was extremely informative and I credit it (and our doula who taught the course) with the success of our wonderful natural birth experience.


Alrighty, Mommies! What books are on your "must-read" list? Do share!

1 comment:

  1. Funny. I did read the book you mentioned that everyone else has read to. Good read though. :)
    My must reads are:

    Don't make me count to 3 by Ginger Plowman
    Creative Corrections by Lisa Welchel
    To Train up a Child by Debi and Michael Pearl
    Shepherding a Child's Heart by Ted Tripp

    I'm sure there are more, but that's the basics.
    Oh and I need to mention that I do not endorse all the tactics in To Train Up a Child, however there are still good applications that I found very helpful. :)

    ReplyDelete